Comfort food has taken on a whole new meaning. One of the best bread puddings I have made, it’s light, not so sweet and super delicious.
In the very same dish you can experience not only the flavor of that old-time favorite pudding, but also the lusciousness of bread pudding, the classic comfort food in a bowl with custard.
- 4-8 slices of white bread (Optional – I used Low-GI White Bread)
- apricot jam
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cap vanilla (5 ml)
- ½ liter of milk
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 180ºF / 82ºC
- Spread the bread thinly with jam.
- Arrange the slices in a glass bowl of your choice, you can halve one of the slices to fill it up in the middle depending on your oven dish.
- Add a few dots butter on each bread slice as you add the bread to the dish.
- Sprinkle with coconut sparingly or to your taste.
- Separate the eggs in two bowls.
- Mix egg yolk with milk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk it well.
- Cover the bread with the milk mixture and allow the bread to absorb it fully.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and cover the pudding with it stiff egg whites.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Serve with Custard
ENJOY / EET LEKKER