I am always looking for a Coffee Shop that has delicious apple pie. Well no more, this is very easy to make and freezes well.
Like most other apple tarts this can also be served as dessert. It tastes delicious with cream or ice cream and children will always go for custard. I made this recipe twice and used a larger bowl. I did leave it slightly longer in the oven, but depending on your oven as it might just burn quickly. So keep an eye on it!
Ingredients for crust:
- 275 g (500 ml) cake flour
- 200 g (250 ml) sugar
- 10 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 250g butter, room temperature.
Ingredient for the filling:
- 1 tin 385 g unsweetened pie apples finely chopped
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g mixed dried fruit or your choice, finely chopped (Soak in water or rooibos tea to moisten the fruit.)
- 2 ml cinnamon
- 1 ml clover
Method for crust:
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter with fingertips until a dough forms. Cover the dough with cling wrap and leave it to rest. I prefer to put it in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C – 350 ºF
- Press half the dough against the wall at the bottom of an ovenproof pie dish of 27 x 30 cm in diameter or tray 30 x 20.
Method for filling:
- Combine apples, sugar dried fruit, cinnamon, cloves and salt together.
- Carefully add it in the crust and spread evenly. Grate the rest of the dough over the tart.Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is beginning to turn light brown. Serve hot or cold.
ENJOY / EET LEKKER!