Fantastic to make when having a braai as a appetizer. I received the recipe from the Expresso Morning Show – SABC 3, but made my own combination and added the Glacé Cherries as it adds a sweet and toothsome contrast to the salty bacon.
This honey, tomato sauce and soy combination is something else. Honestly the sauce is what makes the Oepsie.
2 x packets Streaky Bacon (This recipe makes more than enough sauce to use at least 3 packets Enterprise Bacon)
2 cups Tomato Sauce
¼ cup Honey
¼ cup dark Brown Sugar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup Soy Sauce
¼ cup Oil
¼ cup Lemon Juice
2 Chillies chopped
1 cup Glacé Cherries
Makes about 14.
- To make the bacon twists, take two strips of bacon and lay them on top of each other. Pierce the skewer through one end of the bacon stack, then twist the rest around the skewer. Half way the twisting add a cherry or two.
- Place the last bit at the top of the skewer to secure then repeat with the remaining bacon.
- Place all the Oepsies into a dish
- Make the marinade by combining the tomato sauce. Honey sugar and the rest of the ingredients. Stir well before brushing onto the Oepsies. I marinated them for 1 hour.
- Place the twits on the braai or under the grill on medium heat until they are crispy and golden, basting with more sauce as you go along.
- Serve with tradition braai, potato salad or serve with a garlic bread roll to soak up all the sticky sauce.