Panna Cotta is an Italian classic, and simple to make at home with this easy recipe. Can be made in advance and great with fresh, seasonal fruit. Simply delicious and EASY TO MAKE, just follow these easy steps!
- 2 tsp of gelatin
Zest & juice of 1 naartjie (or other citrus fruit that is in season)
250 ml double cream
80 g selati caster sugar
500 ml buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the spiced plums:
- 6 plums, halved and stoned (or use strawberries if in season)
45 g caster sugar
100 ml naartjie juice, (or other citrus fruit that is in season)
1 star anise
- Sprinkle the gelatin into the naartjie juice to sponge. Heat the cream, sugar and orange zest in a pan over a gentle heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take off the heat. Stir the gelatin well, to remove any lumps and stir into the hot cream mixture until dissolved. Once dissolved, stir in the buttermilk.
- Pour equally into 6 x 150 ml ramekins, tea cups or small glasses. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight, until set.
- Heat the oven to 200 C fan. Make a double thickness square parcel of foil. Pop the plums in the middle with the star anise, sprinkle with sugar and pull up the sides of the foil into a bundle to enclose the plums, making sure no juices can leak out. Carefully place onto a tray in the oven, and cook for 10 minutes until the plums are soft.
- When you are ready to serve dip the ramekins or cups in boiling water for a few seconds so the Panna Cotta will slide easily out. Turn each out on to your serving plates and spoon your plums and good amount of the juices around.
ENJOY / EET LEKKER
Sours: Recipe by: Sonja Edridge http://afternoonexpress.co.za/recipes/buttermilk-panna-cotta-with-spiced-plums/2308