- 3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Optional – 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins. Stir to coat evenly.
- Place the pastry onto the baking sheet and roll it out slightly, using a rolling pin to make it even.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly down the centre of the pastry lengthwise.
- Fold the sides of the pastry around the apples. Seal the dough together by lightly wetting the pastry and pressing it together. Alternately, you can cut the sides of the pastry into strips and fold it decoratively, crossing the strips over each other, sealing them lightly with water.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk. Lightly brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
ALSO TRY: Millionaires shortbread