It’s so easy and tastes divine. You can add other things e.g. Melrose Cheese or Dried Chillies to make different flavours, this recipe is very versatile.
- 1 kg (2.2 pounds) Beef.
- 1 kg (2.2 pounds) Lean pork.
- 1 kg (2.2.pounds) Mutton.
- 500 Grams (1.1 pounds) Bacon (spek) (firm pork fat from under the skin).
- 25 ml (2 Tablespoons) Sea salt.
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Ground black pepper.
- 15 ml (1 Tablespoon) Coriander.
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) Ground cloves.
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Nutmeg powder.
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Brown vinegar.
- 25 ml (2 Tablespoons) Brandy (optional).
- 25 ml (2 Tablespoons) Masala spice (optional).
- 200 Grams (1/2 pounds) Wide sausage casings
To make the boerewors:
First you need to cube all meat and bacon (spek), mix it all together and coarsely mince the meat.
At the same time place the coriander in a dry frying pan and keep on stirring until it browns and then break up the seeds.
Place all the meat and dry spices in a bowl, add the vinegar and brandy and lightly mix together and then leave to marinade in a fridge for a few hours.
You will then need to soak the sausage casings in water and then fill them with your boerewors mixture (firmly, but not too tightly) with your sausage maker. That’s it!
Thank you Mss Gail for sending us this recipe.
We hope you all will enjoy making this!