Inexpensive and full of flavor, ribs can be grilled or put on the Braai. Not to be confused with spare rib roast (a large joint from the shoulder of the pig) they are usually sold as a whole rack, or cut into individual ribs that have been trimmed. You can make this recipe beforehand and refrigerate until you braai. This is simply the best recipe, you will always want to make your own. YUMMY!
- 1.600 Kg +- Pork Belly (Has more meat and flavor) or Pork Ribs. (Quality pork is essential)
- 2 Onions, sliced in rings
- Coarse Salt and Black Pepper
- Ingredients Sauces:
- 125 ml Mrs Balls chutney
- 25 ml Tomato Sauce
- 50 ml Mayonnaise
- 50 ml Orange juice
- 50 ml Apricot jam
- 50 ml Soy Sauce or 25 ml Fish Sauce and 25 ml Oyster sauce
- 40 ml Honey
- 3 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 5 ml Bovril
- 10 ml Dry Mustard
- Place the apricot jam and bovril in a glass bowl and microwave for a few seconds just to soften the mixture. Add all the above ingredients and mix well. Set aside. This can keep for a few days in the refrigerator.
Method Pork Ribs to Braai or to Roast in the Oven:
- Heat the oven to 180 ºC – 350 ºF
- Cut all the skin and most of the fat off ribs.
- Add the onion rings to a baking dish and place the ribs on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover. Bake for about one and a half an hour until almost tender.
- Remove and cut into portions. It’s a lot tastier if the ribs are cut before you braai. That ensures that every piece is marinated.
- Spread the sauce over, (illustrated in photo added to recipe) place back in the oven and open roast at 200 ° C – 392 ºF for +- 10 minutes, remove and turn the ribs and add more marinade, return to the oven for another +- 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and before serving add more marinade. (optional)
- If you are wanting to Braai the ribs you can either refrigerate or place aside until your fire is ready.
This is the best!
- Rotate constantly, marinate the ribs while you braai. The more you do this, the better it is. The fire should not be too hot, otherwise you will burn the marinade. Do this for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Before you take it off the braai, add the remaining sauce.
ENJOY! / EET LEKKER!