Three members of the Van Breda family were killed in their home in the early hours of January 27 last year. No arrests have yet been made.
A video depicting a young man with a female, said to be Van Breda’s lawyer, entering the police station was posted online while news24 reported it was indeed Van Breda (21) in the video. The report said the video was taken at 3.30pm.
Martin van Breda, 54, his wife Teresa, 55, and their eldest son Rudi, 22, were murdered during the attack. The only surviving members are 16-year-old Marli van Breda, who was hospitalised with severe head and neck injuries, and Henri van Breda, 20, who had minor injuries. Initial reports suggested it could have been self-inflicted, with even more reports suggesting the young Van Breda was addicted to tik, also known as crystal meth.
UPDATE: As reported on News24
A 21-year-old suspect who faces allegations of killing the Van Breda family in Stellenbosch last year will appear in court on Tuesday, Western Cape police confirmed.
Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut said their investigation led to the arrest of the man “when he handed himself over to the Stellenbosch police at 15:30”.
He faced three counts of murder and one of attempted murder.