Growing trend of violence
There has been a growing trend of violence in South African schools, colleges and universities in recent years. This problem has led, on average, to 60 people suffering an injury at a place of learning every day. A recent study was undertaken by the Centre for Justice and Crime Prevention (CJCP) and involved:
- 12,794 students from primary and secondary schools
- 264 school principals
- 521 teachers
It showed that 15.3% of children in these schools have experienced violence at their place of learning. School principals confirmed that the children had easy access to alcohol, drugs and weapons. The study served to underline the increasing need for health and safety implementation at educational institutions nationwide.
High and low risks
A government white paper recently pinpointed high and low OHS risks that must be addressed by the education industry. These are:
- Emergency controls involving bomb threats
- Health risks
- Operational fire alarms and extinguishers
- Fire escapes
- Emergency exits
- Safety signage
- Regular drills
OHS and the Government The Government ‘s Minister of Employment and Labour, Mr Thulas Nxesi, recently stressed the importance of OHS at all levels of industry in South Africa. The goal of his department is to achieve a zero accident rate, which Mr Nxesi has named “Vision Zero.” With the help of professional OHS operatives, such as MAKROSAFE and SafetyWallet, much can be contributed to this health and safety campaign.
Enter SafetyWallet rewardsprogramme
MAKROSAFE is adding impetus to “Vision Zero” with its innovative SafetyWallet Health and Safety Programme. This programme rewards the educational services industry with substantial financial returns on their OHS investments.
The SafetyWallet is divided into four categories, dependent on the number of people employed by an educational facility:
- Friend Circle (1- 50 Employees)
- Family Circle (51- 100 Employees)
- Champion Circle (101- 300 Employes)
- Pinnacle Circle (301+ Employees)
Example of SafetyWallet pinnacle circle rewards
The majority of private education institutions such as schools, colleges and universities, fall into the Pinnacle Circle. While this is the most expensive OHS SafetyWallet programme, the Pinnacle Circle offers staggering returns on investments (ROIs)
- Health & Safety Compliance Gap Analysis / Audit
- Saving: R 23 430.40
- ROI: 55.79%
- Health & Safety Risk Assessment
- Saving: R 26 432.00
- ROI: 119%
- Health & Safety (on-site) Implementation
- Saving: R 50 762.40
- ROI: 318.50%
Maintaining health and safety programme
- Annual Saving: R 263 548.78
- ROI: 627.50%
A total health and safety solution with SafetyWallet
SafetyWallet offers a total Health and Safety solution in the field of education. Its programme gives blanket coverage of every aspect of the OHS regulations which include:
The Health and Safety Compliance Audit is crucial in the South African education environment.
- SafetWallet ensures that these institutions are compliant with all aspects of the OHS Act, regulations, standards, as well as by-laws.
- Risk Assessment
Health and Safety Risk Assessments form the nucleus of the OHS Act compliance rules and regulations. Assessments are monitored and conducted at regular intervals.
- SafetyWallet identifies, manages and controls hazards and risks at educational institutions. This safeguards the health and safety of students, teachers and administrative staff members.
- Implementation of Health and Safety Programmes
Basic health and safety measures and procedures require a thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of OHS legislation. This is essential if compliance demands are to be met.
- The involvement of professionals in the field of Health and Safety, like MAKROSAFE and SafetyWallet, must be utilised as the OHS Act presents unending challenges to the education industry.
- The system used in SafetyWallet is unique and translates difficult terms and cumbersome procedures into easy achievable goals at a fraction of the cost.
Inspections must be held regularly to prevent fatalities, accidents, incidents, injuries and illnesses.
- MAKROSAFE ensures that thorough inspections take place to identify existing or potential hazards. Their professional team will then introduce corrective plans-of-action to solve these problem areas.
- SafetyWallet with OHS Online features an inspection tool via a mobile device connected to a secure cloud based database. This makes it more effective and saves time.
- Injuries on Duty (IOD)
IOD services not only prevent injuries and accidents but also eliminate time-consuming administrative follow-ups with OHS authorities.
- IODs require an in-depth understanding of the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, as well as the OHS Act. For these reasons, this crucial aspect of health and safety should be left in the hands of professionals, such as MAKROSAFE.
MAKROSAFE and SafetyWallet offers additional services to augment its Health and Safety portfolio. These include:
- Refilling and providing first aid boxes
- Servicing fire equipment
- Evacuation plans
- First Aid and Firefighting training
- Emergency preparedness Managing and Tracking IOD’s
- Arranging and Managing Medicals
- Site Files
OHS responsibilities in the Education Services Industry are far-reaching. It acts as a watchdog for an industry involving millions of children, young people, educators, administrators and related services. The education industry operates at both public and private level and includes schools, colleges, training centres and universities. OHS responsibilities involve:
- Safety at sports events
- Precautions such as insurance safeguarding accidents, injuries, medical costs and hospitalisation
- Adult supervision
- Providing transport, ensuring that school buses are roadworthy and operated by valid driver’s licence holders
- Precluding children with health problems from taking part in physical training and sports events
- Teaching students safety precautions regarding water activities such as dams, swimming pools, rivers and the sea
- Implementing proper emergency evacuation procedures
- Displaying emergency evacuation procedures prominently in classrooms, offices and other public areas of the building
- Conducting regular fire drills
- Installing audible fire alarms and operational fire extinguishers
- Teaching both students and members of staff how to operate fire extinguishers
- Implementing recognised bomb threat procedures
With more than two decades of service in the OHS field, MAKROSAFE is a widely respected and recognised consultancy. It implements programmes that are managed and supported by state-of-the-art technological systems. These ensure that South African education industry service providers maintain OHS standards while achieving optimised results in the reduction of Health and Safety hazards.
Get started – visit the website now.