A simple and sweet South African dish, and a perfect complement to any BRAA!I
This pudding is “Inspired by Caribbean Cornmeal Dessert”.
- 2 cup(s) Coconut Milk
- 6 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 400 grams sugar (if you are a diabetic, just use your supplement sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cup(s) mieliemeel (cornmeal)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla essence
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (the darker the better)
Method : Pudding
- In a large pot, pour 2 cups coconut milk, 4 cups water, butter, raisins, sugar and cinnamon, stir and bring to a boil.
- Heat the oven at 180°C/350°F
- Combine the mieliemeel (cornmeal), flour, milk powder, 2 teaspoons. cinnamon powder, nutmeg, salt and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water to soften the cornmeal mixture.
- Add mixture to the boiling liquid and stir briskly. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, whilst constantly stirring.
- Scrape mixture into a greased (10 inch) 24 cm baking tin.
- Combine 1 cup full cream milk, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder and the dark sugar. Mix until sugar granules are dissolved.
- Pour soft top mixture over the pudding mixture and bake at 180°C/350°F for one hour.
ENJOY / EET LEKKER
TIP: For best results it must be eaten the same day.