If sources are correct, President Jacob Zuma survived a three day attack from within the ANC to emerge not only as staying on as president of South Africa but in all probability now so bullet proof that he and his cronies can go on an plunder state coffers even more.
Sources within the ruling party say the most that will be announced today is Cabinet reshuffle.
Numerous reports overnight and on Tuesday morning suggest the motion at the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) meeting in Irene, Tshwane, to remove President Jacob Zuma has failed.
There will be a press conference today (Tuesday) at 2pm but those in the know says you need not bother tuning in. It will only be a Cabinet reshuffle – someone else will take the blame for the Zumster’s sins. The guys that will fall will almost certainly be the a number of ministers and top ANC members who decided to speak out against the Zumster. .
ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa had earlier said that the NEC meeting would go into the evening.
The Citizen reports there was now no vote on whether to retain Zuma as president following the proposal to pass a motion of no confidence in Zuma by Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom. You can bet your bottom dollar that his head will be first on the chopping block today.
Sources from within the ANC’s NEC have told reporters that the majority of the NEC felt that it would be more damaging to the ANC to recall Zuma. The divisions that emerged in the ANC and the lasting damage caused to the party by the removal of former president Thabo Mbeki is understood to also have informed the decision to keep Zuma.