It is hard to imagine a good old South African braai without ‘ROOSTERKOEK’. Follow these easy steps and enjoy!
. 1kg white bread flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 10g instant dry yeast
• 60g butter, cut into small cubes
• 600 ml lukewarm water
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together.
- Add the butter into the flour mixture, rubbing with your fingertips until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add the water to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap and allow to stand in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough again and shape into 12 balls.
- Place them onto a greased pan and allow them to stand for a further 10 minutes.
- Flatten the balls slightly and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Cook over low fire for 10 minutes on each side.
- Tap the ‘roosterkoek’ with your fingers and if it makes a hollow sound, it’s done.
Serve with your BRAAI… YUMMY
ENJOY / EET LEKKER!