A Sunday rag cites “sources within the party”, saying there have been two clandestine meetings in Kwazulu-Natal last week to plot Ramaphosa’s demise.
BusinessTech reports those who allegedly attended the meetings include:
- Former president Jacob Zuma;
- ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule;
- Former North West premier Supra Mahumapelo;
- ANC Women’s League secretary-general Meokgo Matuba;
- ANC Youth League KwaZulu-Natal secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo; and
- Former SAA board chair Dudu Myeni
The group reportedly plan to challenge the outcome of last year’s ANC national conference, which elected Ramaphosa as party president. Their argument is said to be based on the fact that there were mass irregularities at branch meetings and that a large number of delegates were illegitimate.
According to the Sunday Times, what particularly worries senior officials at Luthuli House is Magashule’s presence.
As secretary-general, he is in charge of the ANC’s daily operations – while apparently also being at the centre of plans to undermine the party’s president.
Other senior ANC leaders, who asked not to be named, said party officials have long suspected Magashule’s involvement in plans to dislodge Ramaphosa, but never had proof to confront him with.
When asked for comment, ANC KwaZulu-Natal chairperson Sihle Zikalala said that there was no formal meeting scheduled with Magashule or Zuma.