- 1 packet (500g) ostrich sausage, skins removed
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) garlic, ginger and fresh Coriander
- 1 tsp (5ml) cumin seeds
- Ground seeds from 6 cardamom pods
- 2-3 Tablespoons (30-45ml) curry powder
- ¼ cup (60ml) chutney Mrs Balls
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chopped dried fruit
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Pinotage
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 cup (250ml) mielie meal
- Water (as per packet instructions)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (400g) cream style sweetcorn
- Large knob of butter
When I make the mieliepap, I take one part mieliemeel and one part water, boil the water with salt, then add the mieliemeel, cover and let it cook, only when you see the water has boiled almost over the top of the mieliemeel do you stir with a fork and let it cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Then you add the sweetcorn
Steamed green beans for serving (obtional)
Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat glug of oil in a pan and brown ostrich meat. Remove and set aside.
- Add another glug of oil and sauté onions and paste until soft. Add spices and fry for another minute.
- Return meat to pan with remaining ingredients and allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes or until sauce reduces and meat is lovely and tender.
- Spoon into an oven dish
- Make pap according to packet instructions. Season well and stir through canned corn and butter.
- Dollop pap over meat and dot pap with a little more butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with green beans. (Obtional)
ENJOY / EET LEKKER
Recipe: Expresso Show and Pick ‘n Pay – by Anke Roux