Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: Makes: 70
Savoury and rich with a peppery bite. Easy to make and travels well.
420g Snowflake Cake Wheat Flour
250g cold butter or margarine
85ml ice-cold soda water
15ml fresh lemon juice or brandy
100g grated Cheddar cheese
2ml crushed chillies
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut butter into small cubes and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine soda water and lemon juice. Add to dry ingredients and cut in with a knife. Knead lightly to a firm dough.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, to a thickness of about 3mm. Sprinkle cheese, paprika and crushed chillies over the dough.
- Fold in half to close and roll out dough again to a thickness of about 3mm.
- Cut into strips of 1.5x10cm. Twist each strip and place on greased baking trays, pressing ends down onto trays.
- Sprinkle over more paprika, if preferred.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 15 mins or until golden brown. Turn out onto wire racks to cool. store in an airtight container.
ALSO READ: Spicy butternut and chickpea tagine