You will need:
- 1 Large pumpkin, with the peel
- You can use amount of vegetables of your choice (depending the size of the pumpkin.)
- Potatoes, peeled
- Carrots, cut and peeled
- Cabbage sliced
- Garlic 2 to 3 cloves
- About 50g snipped fresh chives or sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- Mushrooms (button)
- 250g cheddar cheese (cut in small chunks)
- Cream of mushroom soup mix.
- Cream / Milk (enough to mix, as per instructions on the soup mix packet)
- Salt and Pepper
- Seasoning of your choice.
- Baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 140 degrees:
- Wash the pumpkin and cut off top part of the pumpkin to form a lid and set aside.
Remove the pips scraping the pumpkin nice and clean on the inside
Fill the pumpkin with the ingredients and the cheese or with your choice of vegetables. Season.
Mix the soup mixture using cream or full cream milk. Pour soup mix mixture into the pumpkin and close with the lid part.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet, you can present it freestanding, but maneuvering a heavy stuffed pumpkin with a softened shell isn’t so easy. I love the way the unencumbered pumpkin looks in the center of the table, I’ve always taken my chances with the baked-on-a-sheet method, and so far, I’ve been lucky.
- Place the pumpkin in preheated oven for at least 8 hours. (If not tender, bake for longer). (Depending on the size of the pumpkin it will serve 15 people)
- When pumpkin is ready, very carefully because it’s heavy, hot, and wobbly, take it to the table or transfer it to a platter before taking it to the table.
ENJOY! / EET LEKKER!