No need to be worried about cooking fresh mussels you can cheat and buy ready cooked mussels in many good supermarkets. Either way you will have a lovely warming winter soup. This recipe is for smoked mussels and so easy to make.
- 1 Litre full cream Milk
- 1 sachet Cream of Chicken soup powder
- 1 tin Smoked Mussels
- A few sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- 4 or 5 large fresh Basil leaves
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 or 2 Mussel Shells (Optional)
Mix cold milk and soup powder in a pot and bring to a boil on low heat. Use a whisk and continuously stir. As the mixture becomes warmer it will thicken. Use a fork and lightly “mince” the mussel meat. As soon as the soup starts to boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and add the mussels together with the remaining oil in the tin. Add the herbs and simmer for 5 minutes.
Enjoy with a glass of chilled White Wine.
Enjoy / Eet Lekker !