If you haven’t tried this, please do, it’s an authentic side dish at any South African braai!
750 ml coarse ‘Mieliemeel ‘– (any one will do)
250 ml (1 cup) milk
500 ml (2 cups) water
60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
2 x 410g tins of sweet corn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ small onion, cut into thin wedges
6-8 button mushrooms cut into thick wedges
10-12 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C and lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish with olive oil.
- Stir in flour (Mieliemeel), milk, water, oil and sweet corn in baking dish and season to taste. Stir again.
- Place in a prepared oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle onion and mushrooms all over mixture, but do not stir. Sprinkle with thyme
- Bake for 1 hour or until the ‘mieliemeel ‘ is cooked and dish golden brown on top.
If you don’t like the mushrooms, make a thick tomato and onion stew, place it on top of the mixture, sprinkle with a little cheese and bake as described. Pieces of fried bacon can also be added.
ENJOY/ EET LEKKER