This is a “Paptert” Maize Meal Tart with a twist. For those people that do not know Paptert, it is a delicious South African dish, which is served at a braai (barbeque). It is made with maize and is delicious and very easy to make!
- 1 cup Maize Meal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cup of buttermilk
- ¾ cup butter, melted ~ (170 grams)
- 1 tin creamed sweet corn
- 1 tin kernel corn, drained
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- ½ cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1 ½ cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 180’C.
Butter your oven dish or use cook and spray.
- Mix the maize meal and baking powder together.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk and butter together.
- Now add the creamed corn, kernel corn, chickpeas, onions and red pepper.
- Stir into the dry ingredients and fold over until just moistened.
- Pour half the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with half of the grated cheese. Add the remaining batter and smooth out, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until firm.
Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy / Eet Lekker