Pastry Base Ingredients
120g Salted Butter (cold)
80g Icing Sugar
3 egg Yolks
250g Cake Flour
25ml Cold Water
- Place the cold butter, flour and icing sugar into a food processor and blitz until a fine crumb consistency is reached.
- Add egg yolks and blend.
- Give the processor a good scrape and blitz again to ensure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Slowly add cold water until the dough comes together. It should be smooth and soft.
- Wrap well in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Grease a 24cm tart tin or ceramic tart plate.
- On a floured surface, roll the refrigerated pastry dough into a circle about 25cm in diameter and roughly 4mm thick.
- Roll over your rolling pin and line your pastry base or tart tin and press in to line the bottom and sides.
- Leave the edges rough but neat and prick the base with a fork.
- Refrigerate for a further 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Line the pastry base with tinfoil and fill with baking beads or rice/ beans and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the entire surface with beaten egg. Reduce the heat to 140°C and return to the oven to bake for 2 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
Lemon Cream Ingredients
8 Large Eggs
240g Castor Sugar
250ml Double Cream
2 heaped tbsp Grated Lemon Zest
125ml Lemon Juice
- Beat together eggs and sugar.
- Add Lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
- Add double cream and mix until incorporated (may be slightly lumpy)
- Refrigerate the mixture, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- When the pastry base is ready, remove the mixture from the fridge and heat gently in a heavy bottomed saucepan on a stovetop until just warm.
- Place the pastry base close to the oven and pour the liquid into the base.
- Carefully place into a preheated oven at 150°C.
- Bake for 40 minutes until just set.
- Remove and allow to cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.