Yet another motorist has fallen prey to tyre spikes placed on the road, fortunately he was not robbed thanks to police who arrived at the scene soon after. Tshwane Metro Police Department (TMPD) were patrolling the N4 highway near the Solomon Mahlangu Drive off-ramp at 5am on Tuesday, 25 May when they came across a vehicle parked next to the road with its hazard lights on.
On closer inspection they discovered a motorist with a punctured tyre. One of his tyres had been spiked after he drove over an object on the road.
“One of his vehicle’s tyre hit the spikes that were placed on the road. The officers called for backup to check for criminals that could still be nearby as the motorist was fortunately not robbed. They searched the nearby area and no one was found. They then assisted the motorist to change the tyre,” TMPD explained in a Facebook post.
According to the driver, he went over something that looked like a normal plastic bag on the road, and shortly after he heard the tyre puncture. Thanks to the swift action of police, he was safe.
There have been several warnings by police regarding the increase of tyre spike incidents in the Pretoria, Middelburg, Witbank and Johannesburg area.
“Motorists are then attacked by these perpetrators, especially at night and in the early hours of the morning. Targeted areas are mostly highways and quiet roads. The TMPD would like to again warn motorists to be extremely vigilant, especially when driving at night and in the early hours of the morning,” they said.
Police are increasing patrols along affected roads but no arrests have been made. Anyone with information regarding this kind of crime can contact the TMPD on 012 358 7095/7096.
Avoid these hotspot areas:
- Middelburg on the N4 National Road, Bethal, Kendall, Phola/Ogies on the N12 near Arbor off ramp
- Delmas still on the N12 National Road
- Bronkorstspruit towards Witbank on the N4
- Witbank on the Dellville Street- CBD, Verena Road, R555 Old Ogies Road
- Calcutta area, R40 around Marite area
- Belfast on the N4 National Road next to Wonderfonein and Acornhoek at Matsikitsane area
- The N4 Mpumalanga to Pretoria between Solomon Mahlangu and Watermeyer Offramp
- The N4 Pretoria to Mpumalanga between Bronkhorstspruit and Balmoral offramp
- The N1 Polokwane N4 Mpumalanga interchange in Pretoria
- The N4 to Rustenburg between R80 Mabopane Freeway and Brits plaza tollgate
- Golden Highway
- R21 Freeway from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria