It’s uniquely South African, one of Cape Town’s greatest treasures, and the reason thousands of visitors flock to our shores – Boulder’s Beach in Simon’s Town is where the tuxedoed African penguins live – but how much do you know about them?
We travelled to Boulder’s Beach in the Mazda CX-30 – a newcomer to the South African family. It was first launched in the country earlier this year and fits into the SUV segment even though you wouldn’t place it there at a glance.
It doesn’t have high ground clearance but what it lacks in height, it makes up for in luxury.
Everything about the inside screams quality – from the light coloured, comfort seats to the easy-to-use dials and the 8.8-inch display screen. Luxury all the way. But no Park Distance Control? There’s a question mark.
My personal favourite is the Heads Up Display which keeps the driver’s eyes on the road, and within the speed limit.
Safety is everything for Mazda – it’s got 7 airbags – two for the driver, passenger, sides and curtain airbags in case the car rolls. The car’s Dynamic stability control helps the driver maintain steering control of the vehicle if something goes wrong.
There are 9 colour variants and this is the deep crystal blue.
What makes Boulder’s Beach so unique?
For one, it’s the only place in the whole world where you can swim with African penguins – now that’s pretty special.
- Sadly, the African penguin is on the verge of extinction – and there are entire organisations and people dedicated to saving this precious species.
- Simon’s Town is an idyllic place for the penguins to live. It’s a small naval town – and the penguins are largely unperturbed by high volumes of traffic and human activity. Our feathery friends, however, wreak havoc with the locals. They’re messy, loud and they destroy gardens – but this is the price you pay for living so close to nature – this is their home too.
WATCH THE REVIEW:
MAZDA CX-30 FEATURES:
– Smart keyless push-button start
– 8.8-inch widescreen
– 7 Airbags
– Head-Up display
– Cruise control
– LED Headlamps
– Alloy wheels
– 4-cylinder motor with SKYACTIV-G technology
– 121 kW
– 213 Nm
– 6-speed automatic gearbox
– front-wheel drive
- 2.0L Active 6AT R469 000
- 2.0L Dynamic 6AT R499 000
- 2.0L Individual 6AT R540 000