If you have a picky family that only want to eat the white meat. this is a great way to have no chicken waste. Chicken Pie is a great winter warmer or to have in the summer with salads.
Ingredients: Cooking the Chicken
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 small sticks celery
- Boiled water to almost cover the chicken in the saucepan
- Place the chicken in a heavy saucepan with all the above ingredients.
- Add boiling water to the saucepan, bring to boil, cover and let it simmer for at least 1 ½ hours until the chicken is falling apart.
- Remove the chicken from the broth remove the skin (optional) and bones.
- Using two forks, flake the cooked chicken.
- Cover the broth and bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer until all the vegetables are beginning to fall apart (30-45 minutes).
- If you don’t like chunks of vegetables… press through a fine mesh strainer, and set aside
Ingredients: To add to the Chicken Pie
- 2 x Tins sweet and spicy mixed curry vegetables or 1 large tin. (The Koo product is awesome)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large tablespoon butter.
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish.
- Combine 2 cups of the broth and a little flour combined with butter in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil until mixture has slightly thickened.
- Add the mixed curry vegetables to the chicken.
- Pour the broth mixture over the chicken pieces and mix well.
Preheat the oven to 180°C– 356°F
Pie Crust Recipe:
(This recipe I made double as illustrated on photo)
- 125ml oil
- 125ml milk
- 200ml flour ( or 200ml flour and 2 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1 large egg (Beat well with a fork and a little water)
- In a saucepan, add all the above ingredients and wisk until a smooth mixture, it must be slightly runny. If the dough is to thick, add 1 egg and 125ml milk.
- Pour over chicken pieces and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes (if making it double, 30 minutes) or until crust is cooked through and golden brown