- 750 g flour (sift)
- 750 ml lukewarm milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 40 g butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 12 g yeast (dry)
- 2 Apples cut in cubes
- 200 g raisins (1 hour in lukewarm water to swell then pat dry)
- 200 g sultanas (1 hour in lukewarm water to swell then pat dry)
- 50 g candied peel (if obtainable)
- 2 litres sunflower cooking oil
- Combine yeast and sugar with a little lukewarm water in a bowl and stir to dissolve. add the flour, start mixing it with the mixer until combined
- Add little by little the milk while slowly mixing.
- Add the eggs until smooth paste.
- Add the butter when melted with cinnamon.
- Now add the apples, raisins and sultanas and mix until well combined.
- Make sure your bowl is large enough for the mixture to double in volum.
- Cover the bowl with a lukewarm tea towel that you have immersed in warm water. Squeeze excess water out and cover the bowel with tea towel and set aside in a warm, (40 degrees) draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Heat the 2 litre sunflower oil up to 170 degrees in a deep-fryer or a large saucepan one-third full.
- Working in batches, use 2 dessert spoons to form 6 cm balls, then gently drop them into oil and deep-fry, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Dust doughnuts generously with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Serve HOT or COLD!
Enjoy your meal! / Eet Smaalik!