Prepare for another round of load shedding – Eskom has asked the public to reduce their electricity usage because the power system is ‘under severe pressure’ which means there is a high possibility of power interruptions.
“A shortage of generation capacity, caused by breakdowns in generation units and delays in others returning to service, has resulted in supply constraints. While no loadshedding is anticipated at this point, Eskom could be forced to implement Stage 1 or, if necessary, Stage 2 loadshedding at short notice should any further breakdowns occur. This is most likely to occur between 17:00 and 22:00 in the evening,” a statement on their social media channels read.
They have requested users to keep their usage to a minimal to prevent load shedding being implemented. This comes as no surprise though, the power utility warned South Africans on 18 May that power outages can be expected throughout winter due to the high demand for electricity.
Ways to save electricity:
1. Manage your geyser. Switch it off if unused or if you leave on holiday.
2. Install a timer on your geyser.
3. Cover your hot water heater with an insulation blanket.
4. Reduce the temperature of your geyser thermostat to 55°C or less.
5. Invest in a solar geyser and save up to 40% on your electricity bill.
6. Save up to 16% on your bill by insulating your home properly.
7. Consider installing energy efficient windows.
8. Save up to 10% on your bill by setting your pool pump to run for a shorter period each day: 6 hours in summer and 4 in winter are enough.
9. Replace your old bulbs for LED equivalent. They use 90% less electricity and last up to 20 years.
10. Invest in energy STAR appliances and electronics.
11. Save 6% on your bill by switching off your appliances at the wall.
12. Run full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher
13. Don’t set your fridge temperature colder than necessary: set your refrigerator between 2°C and 5°C and your freezer between -20°C and – 22°C
14. Install an energy saving-showerhead: they are designed to use up to 40% less hot water.