Restrictions may move down a level on Sunday after Acting Health Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane’s announced that South Africa has officially passed the peak of the third wave of COVID-19 infections.
During a media briefing on Friday, the minister said that cases are declining and it seems as though the worst is over.
The bad news is that 47 500 vaccines were lost and 120 pharmacies damaged during the riots in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng last week.
“We appeal to you that if you were in protest gatherings, please go and get tested,” said Kubayi-Ngubane, adding that a number of the people arrested during the unrest tested positive for COVID-19 when the correctional services department took them in,” the minister said.
Even with so many vital vaccines lost to looters, on Thursday South Africa recorded vaccinating six-million citizens – a step in the right direction in the vaccination rollout.
The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD) reported 14 858 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, with 433 deaths.